Thursday, July 07, 2005

Horrific News and Another War

What happened in London...it's so awful, sad, tragic, etc. I'm not going to drone on about this like some naive twat who thinks that her words are so meaningful and so original. They're not. It's Madrid x 10. It's many things. This is where my cynicism seeps in.

Another war: this time on words. Utilize. Not a goddamn word! This tool who is Tim's friend (sorry, Tim, but you never get a second chance to make a first impression) said it was a great word. I asked him to define it. He said it was "good to use when trying to describe the utility of things." How about "use"? Things are utilities. No. I'm going to stop there. I won't say another word. Well, at the time I did. I made a crack about how people shouldn't make monosyllabic words multisyllabic just to sound more intelligent.

Speaking of the war on utilize, it crossed my mind for a second to boycott all writers and authors who use, oh excuse me, utilize, that word, but then I'd be left in the frickin' dark. Just because it's in Merriam-Webster doesn't mean it's correct. The word sumbitch is in there, but it doesn't mean it's real vocabulary. The Times and The Post should know better! My boss uses that word. I always cross it out. Lots of red ink.

And this article I'm reading about liberatarians and the Cato Institute uses it. No more credibility. Why am I reading this? Because I have to interview some Chinese twat (yes, I too am a Chinese twat) for Jason's old job and she works at the Cato Institute. I'm trying to find ways to ask without actually coming out and saying "Do you work there because you're a wack libertarian or were you just unable to find a job anywhere else?" I suppose the Cato Institute might not give a rat's ass about who answers their phones...

Maybe this is also a war on libertarians...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home